Sunday, February 8, 2009

Kaledain: Beliefs

I've been thinking about this since the post I did a few days ago(the 5 questions). Kaled and Khaotic definitely have very different beliefs about some things, and it might seem strange that they never fight or argue over it. So I came up with this at work today. Enjoy!
______________________________________



One night, a few months after their wedding, Kaled and Khaotic sat by a campfire near their house, just enjoying the night sky. They had had few private moments like this since Toorambar had come to live with them during his tutorship, but he had gone back to Mulgore for a holiday, and they had been making up for lost time. Covered only by a thin blanket, they watched the stars above them.

Kaled suddenly broke the silence. “What do you think is up there in the heavens? You think our spirits might fly up there to live after we die?” Khaotic looked at him curiously. “You want to ponder the meaning of life while you’re at it? Who can guess what’s up there? I’m not even sure I really care about it.” Now it was Kaled’s turn to stare at her. “Do you really mean that? You haven’t ever wondered what happens when we die?” She shrugged. “Not really,” she replied. “I was usually too busy trying to stay alive at the times it would have been most appropriate.” Kaled was silent for a bit before answering. “What about now, since you don’t have enemies surrounding you screaming for your blood? Does peace and quiet give you time to think about it?” Khaotic sighed, beginning to grow frustrated by his questions. “No. It’s not something I want to think about, Kaled,” she said irritably. He seemed confused by her change in attitude, asking more cautiously, “Why not?” She didn’t respond this time, so he finally gave up and returned to watching the stars.

After a long interval in which Khaotic thought he might have decided to drop the subject, he said very quietly, “I do think there’s something more when we die. I don’t know what it is, but I don't believe we just disappear from this existence.” Khaotic snorted, though not harshly. “You sound like one of the Alliance’s holy paladins,” she said. “So be it,” he replied. “I am not ashamed to say we might worship the same powers.” Khaotic sat straight up at that. “What!?” she said incredulously. “Are you saying that you think the Alliance is better than your own race? To say nothing of the orcs and tauren, or the Forsaken, though I don’t think they believe much of anything.” “No, no,” Kaled quickly responded. “I’m just trying to say that I think this ‘Light' they value so much might not be a bad thing. Who can say that it favors one race over another? It should be the person inside that counts, not which side of the war you were born on.” Khaotic stared at him. “That’s a very noble sentiment, love, but the world doesn’t usually see things that way,” she said.

“Did I ever tell you about the first time I went to Orgrimmar, when I was little?” she asked him, and he shook his head no. “I went with my parents. We had just arrived on the zeppelin, and were walking to the front gates. There was a commotion in the distance and we stopped to see what was happening. There was a young orc and troll running up to the gates as if their lives depended on them reaching it.” An ironic smirk crossed her face when she said that. “Coming behind them and gaining fast were two humans on warhorses wearing the livery of their holy church. Before the two younglings could reach the gate, the humans ran them down and slaughtered them, then trampled the bodies with their chargers. They had no reason for doing it either; they just did it because they were 'Horde scum'. They were paladins, Kaled, followers of this ‘Light’ you speak of. And you think this power cares about us the same as the humans?” Kaled shook his head, a look of dismay on his face. “That’s what I was trying to say, Veldora. Those men were evil, despite wearing the Light’s symbols. Their actions proved their true character no matter what name they claim to serve.”

Khaotic looked down, toying with the blanket in front of her. Finally she said, quietly, “I can’t believe that, Kaled. Not after all the cruelty and slaughter I’ve seen. If it makes you happy to think of it, fine, but don’t expect to convert me.” Kaled reached over and cupped her chin, turning her face to look at him. “I would never do that, love. You ought to know that, of all people. I love you for who you are, all of it, and I would never try to change you.” She smiled at him, squeezing his hand gently in hers. Then her smile faded as his face turned pensive. He turned to look back at the sky, his expression distant.

“Do you know,” he said quietly, almost in a whisper, “the people in Silvermoon that rescued me told me that the accident happened so fast, my parents were most likely dead before they even realized their mistake. The house was burned to the ground, and only fast action saved the neighbors’ homes. Yet I bear no scars from that accident. The workroom was shielded and I was at the opposite end of the house, but I don’t believe that’s what saved me. Think about it a moment. It was like a dragon’s fireball, they said, yet I was pulled from the wreckage alive, barely injured really, and I healed quickly and completely. Only my magic was taken. Nothing rational explains it.” He turned to look at her, his eyes intense and unblinking. “That is why I say these things. I have to believe that something saved me, and it did so with a purpose in mind. I just don’t know what it is yet.” Khaotic was speechless, and just stared at him.

The spell was broken by Ashkeyana yawning loudly as he strolled over to the fire to lay down across from them. Kaled blinked, then looked away as Khaotic drew a deep breath. She reached over to massage his shoulder a bit. “I’m sorry,” she said softly. “I won’t argue or belittle it anymore.” Kaled looked over at her with a half-smile. “Veldora, if you didn’t question anything, you wouldn’t be who you are. You don’t have to apologize.” She smiled back at him and slid closer to him. “Although,” he continued as he began rubbing her back, “if you want to make it up to me, I have a few ideas….” He didn’t get anything else out after that, as she pressed her lips to his, and bore him back to the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment