Thursday, December 24, 2009

Pitch and Shaurria: Stars

Random ficlet is random.
____________________



Shaurria stared upward in awe. "I never thought they looked like that," she whispered, and heard Pitch chuckle beside her. "It's hard to really see them in Stormwind," he said. "Too many lights, they hide them." Shaur didn't answer, too captivated by the vast night sky above.

The two druids lay on their backs, side-by-side, in an open field. Faint lights could be seen from the scattered Westfall farms in the distance; other than that, they could have been the only people in existence. The stars shone above them, their light undimmed even by the moon, which was hiding this night.

For a long while the only sound to be heard was the chirping of crickets, until Pitch broke the silence between them. "Shaur?" he asked, voice barely above a whisper. "Have you ever thought about what you want to do with your life?" She turned her head to look at him, but he was still staring up at the stars. "Is this another trade-off?" she asked him, and he chuckled. "It can be. You give your answer first, then I'll tell you mine." She looked back at the sky, thinking.

The silence stretched out between them until finally Pitch looked over. "Well?" Shaur frowned. "Well, it's hard," she said. "I never thought about it before." She thought for another minute or two before answering. "I- I guess I'd like to help out up North if I can," she said slowly. "I want to learn more about healing. I... I'm happy right now livin' with Arvoss, but I guess someday I'd like t' settle with someone and have a family." She glanced over at him shyly. "That's about it. How about you?"

Pitch had been watching her with a half-amused expression while she spoke. Now he gave her a broad grin. "That's a good answer. Most of those are what I used to want as well," he told her. She blushed, then peered at him curiously. "Used to?" she asked. "Y'mean you don't anymore?" He shrugged without speaking; after a moment he sat up. Shaur mimicked him as he wrapped his arms around his knees.

"Hyjal changed a lot of things," he said. "The loss of the World Tree, the demonic taint spreading through the land, not to mention the fact that we're not immortal anymore. It... changes how you think." He looked over, grinning again when he saw how she had copied his pose. "Now I'm no longer sure of what I want. I suppose I'd still like to find a mate, have kids and all that, but really? If I can just do something to help make the world a little better than it was before, I'll be happy."


Shaurria sat still for several minutes, digesting what he had said. Finally she looked up and smiled shyly, then scooted a little closer. "That's a good answer too," she said quietly, and he gave her an answering grin. "You're a good kid," he told her, and she blushed again. Pitch then started chatting about little, unimportant things, and they sat and talked while the stars shone down overhead.
___________________

I've been working on this for a while now and finally finished it. Now I'm off to do holiday-type stuff with my folks, see ya all later.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment