Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pitch and Lark (Last night)

Lark waited until Pitch was breathing deeply and evenly in sleep, then she slipped from the bed and silently gathered her clothes. She dressed quickly, then came back to stand beside the bed, staring down at the sleeping druid for several minutes. Finally she shook her head with a near-silent sigh, then bent to give her side of the covers a quick straightening.

Pitch's breathing never changed, but she still wasn't really surprised when his hand snaked over and grabbed her wrist as she finished. His instincts were- if anything- better than hers. The single word he spoke was just loud enough to be heard, "Stay." Lark shook her head. "I can't." His eyes opened, looking up at her. "Why not? The people in Redridge, or wherever you're going, won't care if you don't report for work at the crack of dawn. Why don't you stay, for just one night?"

Lark bit her lip and looked away. She couldn't tell him, not yet. She made as if to pull away and his grip on her wrist tightened in response. She found herself fighting down the urge to strike him, even as she mentally cursed the one that had made her this way. She looked back at him despite herself, to find him frowning slightly, his face a mix of confusion and concern. "Lark?"

Slowly, she sank down onto the edge of the bed. He brought his other hand up to rub her back, as she quietly answered, "I.. I can't stay, and I can't say why. Please, Pitch, let it be." He just looked at her for a minute. "You're hiding something." His tone wasn't angry or accusatory; he was simply stating a fact and waiting for confirmation. She gave him a small, sad smile. "Everyone hides something. You haven't told me everything about yourself, either." He chuckled a bit at that. "I suppose I haven't."

Lark looked down, at his hand encircling her wrist. "Tell you what, I'll tell you my secret when you tell me yours." He squeezed again, gently, in reassurance, then slid his hand down to take hers. "Deal," he said as he shook it, and she grinned at him. "You're a clown, you know that?" He grinned back as he released her hand. "So I've been told."

Lark abruptly stood up. "I should go so you can get some sleep," she said. "If you have to," was his only reply. She went to the door, then paused with her hand on the knob. "You should come find me again, tomorrow," she said, apologizing in the only way she knew. She glanced back to see him still watching her. He nodded, and she slipped out the door and was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment