Friday, September 16, 2011

Rheugan: Dragonblight

Again, this took longer than I'd thought it would. BUT, the biggest reason it did is that my brain keeps wanting to skip ahead in the storyline, so hopefully the rest of it won't take so long. Maybe. >.>

Poor Rheu. Inside his head just isn't the nicest place to be right now.
_________

When faced with a problem that has no apparent solution, almost any man would turn to a higher power for help. That’s what Rheugan told himself, at least, as he winged his way over the Dragonblight.

The other dragons at Wyrmrest had told him where to go, so it wasn’t long before Angra’thar loomed into view. He soared in to land at the feet of the huge creature sitting before the gates, shifting from bird to human as he did. Alexstrasza nodded to him but said nothing, clearly waiting for him to speak first.

Rheugan looked around as he collected his thoughts, then waved a hand outward at the devastation. “Bit of a mess, isn’t it?”

“It is,” she agreed, then cocked her head slightly. “I can show you what happened if you’d like.” “No thanks,” he said with a shiver. “I’ve heard the stories.” He heard her chuckle quietly. “What can I help you with, youngling?” she asked him.

Rheugan hesitated, suddenly wondering if this had been a good idea after all. “I.. I’m not human,” he finally said. “I know,” she replied simply. He blinked, then went on. “My, ah, other side, it’s...” “Difficult?” she supplied. He nodded. “And now my cat is proving to be the same way.”

She peered at him. “So what did you want from me, druid? Advice? I’m afraid I’m the wrong one to ask for that.” Rheugan shook his head. “I... I know, it’s just...” He trailed off, no longer sure what he was trying to say. “I think the wolf makes it harder,” he admitted. Alexstrasza remained silent, simply watching him, and after a few minutes he looked up at her, a hint of desperation touching his expression.

“Can you... take it away? The curse?” he blurted, and she blinked. “Why?” was all she said. Rheugan found he couldn’t stop the words tumbling from his mouth. “I’ve killed people. Cursed others to live the same life I did. Some of them were my friends. I.. I don’t want any part of it anymore.” He looked up again. “You’re the Aspect of life, aren’t you? Is that in your power?”

“No, little one,” she answered, then regarded him for a moment. “I can’t give you absolution,” she finally told him. “But tell me, would it be feasible to find each person you’ve cursed, the family of each you’ve killed, and ask forgiveness from them?” Rheugan looked down. “No, m’lady, not really,” he said. “Then perhaps you should work on forgiving yourself,” she said gently, as she stood and moved away. “I need to be off, but think on what I’ve told you, druid.” Then she gave a mighty flap of her wings before lifting off, leaving him standing there.

Rheugan stared after her until she was out of sight, then turned his thoughts inward. Are you there? he asked the cat. It was, he could feel it, but it didn’t answer. It felt... uncertain, as if surprised at what he had suggested, and he wondered if it was possible to relieve himself of the cat, if it came to that. That thought made him even more unsettled, and he shivered. Not yet, he told the cat; it seemed to relax slightly. I’d still like to work with you, rather than that. But you’re not making it easy, you know. The cat had nothing to say to that, and kept silent and still as he changed to a bird and took off again, heading toward the Grizzly Hills.

There was still one more opinion he wanted to get.
_________

(Bonus points for anyone that can guess where he's heading. >.>)

No comments:

Post a Comment